So here we are on the primary schools deadline day and I am going to be honest with you, I feel sick. Have I made the right choice? Have I done the application form online right? Come 12 'o' clock and it will be too late, whatever decision I have made is then in the hands of the council. A seriously scary thought.
The only problem is we are applying for a school out of our current catchment area. I say current as we are in the process of buying a house literally a stones throw from the school we would like Finley to go to. And the reason for the move is for the school. This school holds so much history and hope and I haven't even set foot in it! I just know. My husband and his whole family went there, we have friends children that go there and that will go there, and it is the heart of the little community that we are so longing to be apart of.
When we sold our house in August we thought we would have moved in, or at least exchanged, to the new house ready for today. The biggest day of this year in my eyes. One of the biggest days as a parent. The day when applications close on the process that will choose my child's future and that is what we are doing, choosing our child's path. And as a parent we want to get it right.
This picture has brought me to tears over the past few days. I love it so much. I look at it and see my precious son that I want to do the best for, who I want to give the best start in life to and what if I mess it up? What if I make the wrong decision, because it's up to me as he is too little to make these decisions for himself. I so want him to go to our first choice school, this is what we have worked towards with the house move and this is where we have been aiming for. This school will teach him and help him grow into the beautiful, caring boy that I know he will be as he already is at just 4 years old.
For most when submitting that application on January 15th 2016, they will know in their heart that their children will get the place that they want. And they know if they don't that they can fight it. For us this isn't the case. Yes we are in the process of buying the house but due to some unforeseen circumstances along the chain we were not able to complete in time. This means we don't know when we will be in, we would hope by April in case we have to appeal for a place. We have been told because we haven't exchanged Finley will be classed as an out of area child and our new address will not be considered. Even with all the evidence because the system in so black and white. Which I could argue is a good thing and more things in this world need to be black and white and have a proper system, but in our current situation this doesn't work for us.
This decision will decide the future for both boys, because where Finley goes, Noah will go. It would also mean enrolling Noah into a different preschool to the one he is due to start in September. This is because of traveling and not able to be in two places at once. And so that he would get to know they children he would be going to school with.
For today marks the day that my tears need to stop as there really is nothing I can do. We haven't exchanged and there are no loop holes we can jump through. We just need to keep our fingers crossed he will get the offer of a place in April, and if not hope we are in our new house so we can appeal.
This isn't the start I wanted in our primary school journey but it's our journey so we will make it great and make it work whatever happens.
Good luck to everyone that is applying for their child's school place this year.