I got the idea to write this post from the increased amount of tantrums I am getting from my nearly two year old. And with two under four I am getting attitude and tantrums left, right and centre. I find myself having to laugh most of the time otherwise I would crumble and have a tantrum myself. And I don't think that would go down too well in the middle of a supermarket.
I try not to give in to the boys demands, but sometimes I just want to drink my HOT tea in peace and eat a WHOLE chocolate bar to myself. Or when we are in public I want all of those people that judge to stop looking and tutting at me!
So here is a quick 10 step toddler guide to get what you want if you have already been told no:
1. Throw yourself on the floor. Doesn't matter where you are, supermarket or park, just lie on the floor and cry. Whoever your tantruming for will just want you to stop it so you are more than likely to get what you want, or they could just walk away making you look a little bit silly.
2. Scream. Scream as loud as you can until they can take it no longer and give in. Or they may just join in and you both end up looking a little bit silly, which would result in leaving where you are and not getting what it was you wanted in the first place.
3. Refuse to move. Glue yourself to the exact spot you are on. Or again they may just walk away so you have to run after them and leave yourself looking silly.
4. Cry. Very loudly so that the whole world can hear you and so that everyone feels sorry for you. Or they could start to cry with you and then everyone will feel sorry for them!
5. Throw your toys out the pram. Literally. Anything you have in the pram with you or anything on you that can come off easily, a toy/shoe/hat/sunglasses, and throw them on the floor. But this may backfire and you may lose your favourite toy/shoe/hat/sunglasses.
6. Say their name over and over again, in a very annoying whiny voice, and get louder and louder, and whinier and whinier. This is one that may just get what you want as can be rather annoying!
7. Refuse to talk. Do not answer any questions. Hide your face. Make them feel guilty. But they could then stop talking to you and not answer any of your questions and this is rather annoying.
8. Tell Nana. The most obvious one as you will more than likely get your own way. This is a sure fire way of getting what you want.
9. Be lovely. Even if you have just thrown the most almighty tantrum, suck up. They will cave as you are on your best behaviour. Or they will just praise you for being so good about not getting what you want.
10. If all else fails, go back to normal, play nicely then in about 10 minutes ask for it again!!
Here's a few pictures of tantrums I caught on camera.