I am sure everyone is the same, before we all had children we knew the type of parent we were going to be. And we also judged parents whether it was friends with children or when we were out and about. I know I did. Without even meaning to. Before the subject of children had even come up I thought I knew what kind of Mum I wanted to be and I can tell you know I am no where near that Mum. But I'm not ashamed as before I didn't have a clue! I didn't have nieces or nephews so had no idea what being a parent was like. But I did look at parents when they had a screaming child in the supermarket and think do something to make them happy and stop shouting! Oh how easy that was to say lol.
So before I had the boys this was the parent I wanted and thought I would be:
- I wouldn't let them eat sweets and chocolate.
- They would sleep in their Moses basket/cot every night and not sleep with us.
- We would blissfully sit around cuddling and playing all day.
- I would make homemade meals every night.
- I wouldn't shout.
- They would be so well behaved when we went out shopping.
- I would go shopping all the time with the kids in tow.
- I would have loads of blissful lunches and coffees out.
- I wouldn't let them run around a shop/supermarket.
- They wouldn't scream and shout while out.
- They would sleep 7pm - 8am every night.
- We would all sit around the dining table every night.
- I wouldn't be so ridged with a routine.
- We would sit on the sofa watching lots of Disney films, drinking hot chocolate and eating popcorn.
- I would get up every morning and for all the night feeds so my husband could sleep.
- I wouldn't get angry with them.
- I wouldn't let them have anything they wanted.
- If I made a threat I would stick to it.
- On a girls night out I wouldn't talk about my children most of the night.
Well little did I know that the parent I am would be no where near the parent I thought I would be. I wish I had more patients but I don't. I wish I wasn't so up tight about things but I am. So here is the parent that I am. Please don't judge:
- If I need a second of peace and quiet they will get sweets and chocolate.
- Both boys have spent many a nights in our bed. Finley to the point my husband slept in the spare room for a few months (crazy I know!!).
- We play all day but I wouldn't say blissfully and cuddles normally involve a finger in my ear or eye. Still lovely cuddles though.
- They tend to eat turkey dinosaurs & waffles, fish fingers & waffles, pasta with tomato sauce cheese and pepperami (Finley's fav!) chicken nuggets & waffles (your starting to get the waffles picture) and the occasion McDonald's.
- I do shout. I don't like to and always feel guilty after but they know how to push my buttons and I end up raising my voice.
- They are not the angel children when out shopping, they shout and scream and just generally act like loons in public.
- I never take them clothes shopping and if I do its for a specific reason and we are in and out in a matter of minutes.
- We do have lunches and coffees out but they are not blissful and are in Costa or cafes not restaurants. We would get kicked out.
- They run around the supermarket and shop sometimes as I am so fed up of telling them off I let them. And the looks I get are awesome - not!!
- We have lots of screaming and shouting while out, mostly happy shouting but its still shouting isn't it!
- Finley has only just started to sleep through the night and he is 3 1/2!!!!
- We sit at the dining table all together probably 2 nights out of the 7 just because my husband works late and they cant wait until 8 to eat their tea!
- I am so ridged to a routine, it even annoys even me. I cant help it and I feel very on edge when we are out of the routine.
- Yes we watch films, drink hot chocolate and eat popcorn but its not the heavenly scene I thought it would be. There is popcorn all over the place and the hot chocolate is hardly drank.
- Me and my husband share getting up.
- I get angry. No more explanation needed - they are toddlers!
- They aren't spoilt and don't get everything they want but if we are out and the would like a toy that's not to expensive I normally cave to keep them quiet.
- I never stick to threats. I am far too soft.
- Sorry to all my friends as when we go out all I talk about is the boys. I spend every working hour with them so they are all I have to talk about. I'm not moaning as I could talk about them all day but I think my friends get a bit fed up.
I don't think I'm doing to bad even if I'm not the parent I thought I would be.
Yep I let them eat chocolate for breakfast ;-)